• Reunion Staff

HUD-VASH Real Estate Investing

Updated: Nov 11, 2020

What does the VASH program look like?

The HUD-VASH Program combines the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) rental assistance for homeless veterans and their families with case management and clinical services provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) at its medical centers and in the community.

Why should you consider investing in VASH?

There are many benefits that come with HUD-VASH Real Estate Investing including being a part of the solution to ending homelessness among Veterans who sacrifice so much for our country giving you the chance to honor those who have served. A safety net for tenants lowers default risks with ongoing case management. Investors see reliable monthly rental payments through the local housing authority, fair market rents, and have a say in security deposits. Lastly, Third-party inspections help maintain quality with annual property recertifications.

Where can I find VASH investment opportunities?

Investors can typically buy homes at a substantial discount due to the condition and build quite a bit of equity through renovation. This also provides the veteran tenant with a top-notch property that they will have a higher propensity to keep in great condition due to the standard upon move in. Reunion helps investors work with HUD officials, find suitable HUD-VASH homes in areas such as Wichita Falls, Texas and also has the ability to manage new build HUD construction projects, making it convenient to you the investor. Invest in HUD-VASH real estate now

How can I get started with VASH investing?

To apply for HUD-VASH, please contact your local VA Homeless Program or visit your local housing authority. They will guide you through filling out the necessary paperwork. The federal Housing Choice Voucher Program (also known as "Section 8") provides housing assistance to low-income families and individuals. Participants in the program receive vouchers they then use to pay a portion of their rent directly to landlords.

You will want to contact the county public housing authority in the town where your building is located. Explain that you would like to accept Section 8/Housing Choice vouchers and attend any required information meetings. Please keep in mind some counties may not require that you attend an information meeting prior to listing with the public housing authority and you will want to check on this based on where you live. Ask to have your property listed with the housing authority as one that is paid for with Housing Choice vouchers and provide the housing authority with any paperwork that they request. This may include documentation that you own the building, a W-9 tax form, or any required local licenses and permits. Meet with prospective tenants and screen them according to fair housing standards as well as your own. Select a tenant and arrange for the public housing authority to inspect your property. If your property does not pass inspection, make the needed repairs, and arrange for a second inspection. Sign the lease, along with the tenant, and then sign the housing contract provided by the housing authority. You can arrange for your rent payments to be sent to you via direct deposit if your local housing authority offers this service.

93 views0 comments